Friday, November 14, 2014

Reputation: Actions speak louder than Words

I think that in every organization one is in, they have some sort of reputation. Whether that be in the Society of Women in Business, your sorority or fraternity, or an internship/job, the manner in which you carry and portray yourself affects the opinion that others have of you.  In a larger organization, it may be that you are fly under the radar, but being the “uninvolved one” can be a reputation in itself.

Personally, I believe that my reputation is portrayed similarly in the organizations that I participate in on campus.  As for both the Society of Women in Business and my sorority, I’d say that others see me as an organized, involved individual who puts forth her best effort and enjoys what she does.  I think that I have obtained this reputation in both organizations because of past involvement.  I have been involved with the Society of Women in Business and my sorority for several years now, and I have contributed through committees and leadership positions.  These actions and the ability to deliver results have shaped my reputation.  In order to keep this reputation in tact, I take on more responsibility within both organizations as it’s presented to me. I think that this comes naturally though, and I don’t put much thought into becoming more involved.

Similarly, I think that it is also very easy to build a reputation at work. I think that in the past, I also built some sort of reputation at my summer internship.  I believe that this was largely dependent upon the way in which I carried myself and the first impressions that my coworkers had of me, because I was only with the firm for a short amount of time.  However, I also think that the work that I produced had a large impact on my reputation.

Senioritis is a perfect example of a time in which I will most likely stray away from my reputation.  As I wrap up first semester with a job already lined up for when I graduate, it is very difficult to stay focused and maintain the reputation that I have established for myself.  My motivation is probably at an all time low, however, I still want to be successful in my last year of school and prove that my reputation does truly reflect who I am.


Reputation acts as a promise to an experience good.  Time allows others to see how you act in situations, how you deliver results and how you carry yourself in general.  One can assume that you will act one way from your reputation, but oftentimes, they won’t know your ability to deliver (the experience good in this hypothetical) until they have worked with you on a project, assignment, or in another situation in which they can see your experience, whether that be a certain trait, like artistic ability, work ethic, etc., first hand.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having a job. That must make you breathe a little easier.

    I had a student last year who was diligent like you and she too got a job fairly early. She likewise reported about having senioritis. I no longer teach in the spring because it seemed to me that all the students had senioritis then and it was kind of discouraging on me as a teacher.

    I agree with you that what a person has a reputation for is an experience good, but sometimes it doesn't take that long to "size up" a person, even though we're taught at a very early age - don't judge a book by its cover. In that, while we are probably correct about the behavior we observe, we might be quite wrong about why the person behaves that way. In class, we've talked a little bit about the difference between introverts and extroverts. Each type needs to be careful about making inferences from individual behavior of the other type. People's behavior does change when the environment changes, so one shouldn't take it entirely as fixed, which you seem to be doing in your last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Professor Arvan. I am extremely excited to have something lined up for after graduation, and as I look forward to the future, it is difficult to remain focused in Champaign. I am lucky because I enjoy most of my courses, so I don't have as much senioritis as I thought I'd have, but I'm worried it'll kick in once second semester rolls around. It's definitely a smart move not teaching in the spring because most seniors are focused on things other than school.

      Delete